Drew Rudloff is a trial attorney and appellate advocate. He focuses his practice on the defense of serious personal injury claims, first- and third-party insurance matters, insurance coverage, education and employment law, and other complex litigation. He represents individuals, businesses, and political subdivisions in state and federal courts, and before state and federal agencies. He has significant first chair trial and arbitration experience, and extensive experience authoring briefs and arguing before state and federal courts of appeals.
The types of cases Drew handles run the gamut. They range from defending a Dayton-area school district from seven-figure exposure stemming from delays and disruptions in the construction of a school, to obtaining a not guilty verdict for a rancher prosecuted after his cattle damaged neighboring properties, to securing an appellate decision affirming summary judgment on an employee’s novel claims of disability discrimination.
In addition to his practice, Drew is active in the Ohio legal community. In 2011, the Justices of the Ohio Supreme Court re-appointed him to the Commission on Certification of Attorneys as Specialists. He is also involved in several local, statewide, and international legal associations, including the Carl D. Kessler Inn of Court, the Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, and the Defense Research Institute.
Before entering private practice, Drew clerked for then-Judge Robert Cupp and Judge Vern Preston at the Ohio Third District Court of Appeals. He also externed with Judge Gregory Frost at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. In his experience as a clerk and extern, Drew drafted opinions and memoranda involving civil, criminal, probate, and domestic law issues. While a student at Ohio Northern, he was named by his peers as the law review editorial board member of the year in 2005, graduated third in his class, and was inducted into the Frank B. Willis Honor Society (top 10%) and Phi Kappa Phi (top 5%).
A native of northeast Ohio, Drew resides in Beavercreek.
- J.D., Ohio Northern University, with high distinction (2005)
- B.A., Westminster College (2002)
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Dayton Bar Association
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Carl D. Kessler Inn of Court
Primary Practice Areas
- Education Law
- Construction Litigation
- Municipal and Police Liability
Insurance – Personal Injury
- Crump v. Brown, et al., Montgomery Cty. Case No. 2009 CV 9227. Defense verdict in a personal injury action stemming from an automobile accident.
- Allen v. Livingston, et al., Montgomery Cty. Case No. 2009 CV 1916. Defended a prominent Dayton-area university in a premises-liability claim brought by an undergraduate student, who was allegedly assaulted in his residence by members of the university’s football team.
Insurance – General Liability
- State of Ohio v. David Shepherd, Butler County Case No. CRB 0901483. Not guilty verdict for an Ohio cattle rancher prosecuted after his herd allegedly damaged neighboring properties.
Insurance – Subrogation
- Southwest Ohio Educational Purchasing Council v. Lippincott Plumbing-Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.,Allen Cty. Case No. 2009 CV 0072. Prosecuted a subrogation action on behalf of a liability insurer against HVAC service provider, following a fire that started in an HVAC unit and caused in excess of $60,000 in damage to a modular classroom unit.
Education Law – Administrative Investigation
- Ohio Department of Education Investigation re: Physical Abuse/Restraint. Defended a school administrator in a R.C. Chapter 3319 investigation, which stemmed from allegations that the administrator improperly restrained a special needs student after the student threatened to strike individuals with a padlock and baseball-sized rocks.
- OLRS Investigation re: Physical Abuse/Restraint. Defended a Dayton-area school district through a R.C. Chapter 5123 investigation by Ohio Legal Rights Service, relative to allegations that school personnel improperly restrained a special needs student.
- County Children Services Board Investigation re: Physical Abuse. Defending an administrator/teacher in an investigation by a county children services board, following allegations of physical abuse involving a student diagnosed with a significant emotional disturbance.
Education Law – Contract Disputes and Labor Negotiations
- Greenville Education Association v. Greenville Board of Education, American Arbitration Association, Case Nos. 53 390 00016 09; 53 390 00251 09; 53 390 00393 09. Responsible for all aspects of briefing in multiple arbitration proceedings filed by a teachers’ union, all of which resulted in awards in favor of the board of education and costs assessed against the union.
Education Law – Construction Litigation
- Danis Building Construction Company v. Northridge Local School District, et al., Montgomery Cty. Case No. 2009 CV 3759. Defending a Dayton-area school district from claims for non-payment, and prosecuting claims for defective design and installation, all related to the construction of multi-million dollar athletic complex.
- Miles-McClellan Construction Company, Inc. v. Trotwood-Madison City School Dist. Bd. of Edu., et al., Montgomery Cty. Case No. 2007 CV 4256. Defended a Dayton-area school district from negligence, delay, and disruption claims related to the construction of a multi-million dollar high school.
Education Law – Real Propery Valuation
- Real Property Valuation Complaints. Representing Dayton-area school districts in real-property-valuation cases before county boards of revision and the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, regarding claimed reductions in tax liability by residential and commercial property owners.
Education Law – Special Education
- Special Education Due Process Hearing. Defended a school district in Individualized Education Program proceedings and a Due Process hearing, in which parents claimed violations of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1401 et seq., and sought reimbursement for, and future placement at, an out-of-state residential facility tailored to students with extreme behavioral difficulties.
Education Law – Workers’ Compensation Appeal
- Kathryn L. Stewart v. Stephen P. Buehrer, Administrator, Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, et al., Greene Cty. Case No. 2012 CV 0805. Defending a school district in a work-comp appeal, where an employee claims entitlement to added benefits under Ohio’s State Insurance Fund for various physical injuries and mental health conditions.
Insurance – Construction Litigation
- Springfield Properties, Inc. v. American Builders General Contractors, et al., Clark Cty. Case No. 10 CV 0806. Defending a southwest Ohio subcontractor from warranty, breach-of-contract, and third-party beneficiary claims stemming from the installation of a flat roof at a commercial property.
Municipal and Police Liability
- Royles v. Springfield Township, Ohio, et al., S.D. Ohio Case No. 1:06-CV-376. Summary judgment in a suit involving various civil rights and state-law claims against a southwest Ohio municipality.
- New Hurdles in Defending Traditionally Smelly Disability Discrimination Claims Under the ADA Amendments Act, OACTA Quarterly Review, Vol. 3, No. 2 (Summer 2010).